Thursday, July 19, 2007

Just Bamboo project

I've decided (about as well as I can so far) to knit either a tank top or 3/4 sleeve top out of the Just Bamboo. I went back to Twisted (for a MS3 meet-up and that was fun) and while there I purchased enough of the Just Bamboo to do the little top.

So. I've cast on and am knitting away. So far I have about 2" done on what will be the back. I want to get pretty far on it before I go back to the MS3 project, since I'm behind there anyway. Also the Just Bamboo is on size 9s so quite different from the lace knitting! I tried yos in a swatch and they were HUGE .

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hi, Dawn, I'm curious. How do you like knitting with the Just Bamboo. Does it split easily (i.e. your needles poke inbetween the yarn fibers). I'm looking for some quality bamboo to knit up baby cardigans with. Thanks, N:)

FiberDawn said...

Hi Natalie!

The Just Bamboo has been manufactured to be a ribbon, rather than strands twisted together. This is resulting (for me at least) with much less splitting of the yarn with the needle. It still knits up to a soft fabric, but not as soft as the Silk City Fiber Bambu 7 (equivalent to fingering weight, comes on a cone). However there were definite tendencies for spliting and tangling with the Bambu-- especially if you tried to wind off a small amount. So, long comment, but thumbs up to less tangles and less splitting for Just Bamboo. I'm still liking the resulting fabric, but it is quite different-- more what you would expect from a ribbon yarn. HTH!