Friday, January 21, 2011

Knitting with Retroglo reflective yarn


If you want to add a bit more safety in with the love you knit into caps for your family-- use some reflective yarn! Retroglo is the yarn that I'm using here. Its actually made with tiny little glass beads on both sides and is a flat tape. I'm working it into the knit fabric by carrying it along with my other yarn. Since it is rather grey looking when not reflecting, I'm using it with grey yarn.

So this will be a cap pattern I'll be publishing and making available on my website.
In the photos, you can see one without flash-- it just looks grey-- and one with flash-- where you can see the reflection. This is the way it would look in headlights at night.

The photos show a worsted weight yarn, US size 8 needles (5 mm) and Caron's Simply Soft acrylic yarn. The Retroglo yarn is a little stiff, so I don't think I would go too much smaller in needle size, but you could.

I have plans to use the Retroglo by applying it more like embroidery afterwards. I'll take photos of that when I'm done and post them here as well.
Posted by Picasa

No comments :