Thursday, January 10, 2008

Home office standing workstation

I really wish I had photographed the "before". But let me describe it. The tables/desks were arranged in a "U" shape from left wall, around past the window and down the right wall. The two computer workstations were next to each other facing the window. All desktop heights were approximately the same. This first photo shows my home office in my new arrangement. (I've since rearranged the wall hangings). After having read about the walkstation (where a treadmill is incorporated with an adjustable standing computer desk, and all the health benefits that that is supposed to derive, based on studies by Dr James Levine of the Mayo Clinic), I did a bit of measuring and figured out that I really didn't have the room.
However, I had made my tables using adjustable legs and decided that maybe I could just modify my layout to include one standing workstation (used for my day-job) and one sitting workstation (shared with the rest of the family).

So I set about re-arranging and here is what I came up with. On the right is the standing workstation. I made it a height which would put my keyboad and monitor the same in relation to my elbows and eyes as they were when it was a regular sitting workstation. (I had spent time previously making sure these were relatively ergonomic.) And to accomplish it, I shortened both adjustable tables so that that table on top is about 42" off the ground.

Then to make a bit more room for standing, I moved another adjustable table on top on the other side of the room, leaving the underneath at the normal height. This gives me a bit more writing/desk space, for when I need that. There is an under-counter type light there as well (not turned on in the photo).

I just moved the desk with the home computer in it since we share this with the kids and my adjustable legs are not dynamically adjustable, I decided it was best to keep this a sitting workstation.

So all part of the New Year's resolution to keep moving! Hope it works. So far, I really like it. Still have filing and recycling to do (you can't see that half of the room, by design ).
Posted by Picasa

No comments :